Sunday, August 31, 2008

All the Gory Details...Part II

Okay, sorry for the delay, but it's been one of those really busy weeks at work and I'm trying to potty train a two-year-old boy. Needless to say, it's been a busy, often frustrating week!

Well, I spent the ten days following the amnio, stressing, worrying, and being pretty anti-social. It was always there in the back of mind, wondering just how different our lives might become if something should be wrong with the baby. We would have had the child, regardless of the outco
me, but the worry was still there. I'm not a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl - I need structure and need to know what's going on. I can't take ambiguity. I needed answers and they couldn't come fast enough.

We went to Houston to watch an Astros v. Red Sox game on the Sunday before I was due to get the news. While I did manage to forget things for a while and enjoy the great seats right behind the BoSox dugout (Go Sox!), the minute that we got into the car to head home, the thoughts were there again. Hard to avoid.
Anyway, I woke up Monday morning to hear my cell phone ringing. By the time that I got there, they had hung up. It was the peri's office. Without even listening to the message, I returned the call and braced myself for the news. My heart was racing when the counselor's voice came on the line...

Fortunately, the news was good. The amnio came back showing no chromosomal issues and the baby was a girl! I was not expecting to hear the girl thing and think that I was more flabbergasted by that than by the good news that we were receiving. I was really expecting to hear that it was another boy, but no! A girl. Oy. Where on earth were we going to put her in our little house? Girls are so much harder than boys.. It was a big relief to have those kinds of thoughts instead of the others!!


I called Harvey and think that he was stunned to hear that it was a girl. His though on that is that when you have a boy, you worry about one pee-pee; When you have a girl, you worry about all of the pee-pees!! I think that secretly he's kind of excited about having a girl, but you never know.

After getting the good news, which was around the end of June, we breathed a sigh of relief, but still hadn't told anyone. We were about 18 weeks along at that point, but wanted to have one more ultrasound to check on the CPCs (cysts) just to see if they'd resolved themselves. We had an appointment the next week, on the 10th and were leaving for a vacation with my family to Colorado the next day. We really hoped for good news, so that we could tell everyone and enjoy the trip. The appointment went well and all looked good, but the CPCs were still there. The doctor said that they seemed a little smaller and she really expected them to be gone by our next appointment in a few weeks.

In good spirits, we headed home to start spreading the news before leaving for our trip the next day. As suspected, everyone seemed very happy for us and were thrilled that we were going to be having a girl. My sister, Rishanne, who we all knew was pregnant (about four weeks behind me) was shocked and stunned to hear the news - I had gone with her on a maternity clothes shopping spree a few weeks earlier and never said a word!

Colorado was great. Very relaxing and a lot of fun. While the CPC issue still lingered in the back of my mind, I finally started to loosen up and start to enjoy the pregnancy. We returned home and I had an appointment scheduled for August 7th with the peri. Harvey couldn't go to this one with me, so I headed to the doctor and prayed that this would be our last visit with her and that the CPCs would be gone. Sure enough, after an exhaustive Level II ultrasound, the cysts were gone! No more visits to the peri!

Finally, it seemed like I could start to get excited about our impending arrival. To be honest, most of the time I still can't quite believe that we're having a baby in three months. Then there are days like yesterday where my back, hips, and tailbone ache so much that it's hard to forget that fact...

The aches and pains, however, will not keep me from shopping for the little one. We've already got a name picked out, colors for the nursery, and the wee world giant sale is this weekend...Time to go forth and shop!

1 comment:

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

YAY!! So happy for a great report and thanks for sharing with us!!!!